Monday, November 27, 2006

How Bob Seger Found My Muse

Elisa, Sandy, and I have a deal. We'll post on Friday of each week and we've divied up the weeks. Last Friday was my week. Well, already I've fallen down on the job. Darn it. I'm three days late and I apologize.

For those of you who don't know, I work full-time in retail. As everyone knows, this past weekend was Thanksgiving weekend. 'Nuff said. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are a bit of a blur.

But here I am, ready to post.

I did have a bit of fun on Saturday. My husband and I went to the Bob Seger concert. I'm a huge Seger fan. Saw him when I was a Freshman in college many years ago (no, you don' t need to know how many years ago). The man is now 61 and he can still get up on that stage and rock. His voice is better than ever.

So I'm watching him and I'm listening to thousands and thousands of people sing along with him. It got me wondering what it would be like to stand on stage and listen to all these people sing the words that came out of my head. It has to be a surreal experience.

And I also started thinking that all those years ago Bob Seger was probably a lot like me. I'm sure he had this deep urge to write songs and faced a blank composition page for the first time wondering if he could do it. Could he write a song people would want to listen to? Could he write a hit?

He's been rocking for 30+ years now. Yeah, I say he can write a hit and songs people want to listen to.

And that's exactly what I want to do. I want to write books people want to read over and over. I want to take people away from their lives and emerse them in worlds I've created with characters I've given birth to.

For the past three months I've struggled, thinking I don't have what it takes, that maybe I should think about quitting for a bit.

But after Saturday night, all that has changed. I want to keep writing. I want to write that story that makes people sigh. I want to create the hero every woman falls in love with.

So, thank you Bob Seger for rediscovering my muse and reminding me just how much I love this whole frustrating writing business.

Oh, and did I ever tell you that my very first ms was about a rock star who falls in love with a high school English teacher? I may have to pull that out from under my bed and dust it off.....

1 Comments:

Blogger Elisa said...

Excellent post, Sharon. :)I'm glad the concert was fun...and I'm glad you're not giving up on writing.

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home