Thursday, December 28, 2006

There's one in every crowd

So Christmas night the whole family packs up and treks the 10 minutes to my sister-in-law's house for Christmas dinner. She has this friend who she's been friends with for 20 years now who comes to all the family dinners.

We're sitting at the dinner table, stuffed to the gills with standing rib roast, mashed potatoes, salad, corn, turkey, pounds of hors devoures and about ten different desserts, when this family friend starts talking about romances. Now she knows I write romance and she suddenly announces to the table that romances are "crap". Well, the table goes silent and my husband, never to miss an opportunity, says into the silence, "Did you hear that she called your work crap?"

And I say, "Yes, I was trying to ignore it."

So this friend quickly says, "Not that what you write is crap. I'm sure it's good money for those who can churn that stuff out."

Churn that stuff out.

Okay, now she's digging her hole deeper and I just close my eyes and shake my head (I really did do that) and say, "It's a little more than churning it out."

"Oh, well. I didn't mean it like that."

Yes. She did. But I let it go. People like her won't be convinced otherwise because she doesn't want to be convinced otherwise. I choose to feel sorry for her because she won't open her mind and experience some of the best stories out there written by some of the best writers out there.

Her loss.

3 Comments:

Blogger Elisa said...

Ugh. People like that astound me. It's always the ones who've never tried to write a book that think it's a piece of cake to get the words to paper.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Sandra Barkevich said...

Wow! What comes out of people's mouths. They just don't think. I actually blogged about this subject at my site. Great minds think alike, Sharon.

Happy New Year!
Sandy :-)
www.sandra.barkevich.com

12:11 PM  
Blogger Grace Tyler said...

I really don't think you can appreciate what goes into a book until you've tried it yourself. It's not for sissies.

Good for you, trying to ignore it. Bad on DH for pushing a fight! Men.

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home